Fortunate enough to finally find secure employment at a local yarn store, I was scheduled to work during the 2014 Los Angeles Yarn Crawl. Personally, I loved the beehive of activity the yarn crawl created for our store and the range of people we met from other parts of Los Angeles, and even other states!
One visitor from Ohio sparked the idea for this post. She had researched her trip to Los Angeles, where she was coming for a job interview, and discovered that Yarn Crawl LA was coinciding with her trip, so she decided to unofficially(?) participate. This got me thinking that a general overview of all local yarn shops in the Los Angeles County area would make for an informative post for future fiber artists wise enough to research their trips to Los Angeles County.
Using the Yarn Crawl LA passport as my guide, I have created the following spreadsheet which will provide a general overview of each yarn store, it’s policies and offerings. One of the things I learned in contacting each store:
- Most yarn stores are willing to answer a couple of questions regarding projects made of yarn purchased outside the store. Preference/time is more deservedly reserved for customers that have purchased the project yarn in the store.
With respect to my spreadsheets:
- Yarn Policy refers to organized sit ‘n’ stitches that regularly meet in the store and/or customers that are welcome to sit ‘n’ stitch during operating hours, allowing for space.
- Pet Policy:
- Under California law, all stores must allow PROPERLY IDENTIFIED service dogs into the store, properly identified being the operative term.
- Stores indicating a favorable pet policy do not wish this post to viewed as an open announcement that they are expanding into the petting zoo industry. I suggest you contact the store before presuming your pet will be well received out of respect to store space and/or other customers’ potential allergies.
- As an employee at a yarn store, I am not offering any opinions regarding each store.
- As this is my first “official informative post,” I fine-tuned the information culled as I called each store. As such, some information may be more detailed than others.
- While I tried to be objective and brief, I may have made some mistakes – blame it on being human. If you are a yarn store and would like me to adjust your information, please send me a request via email.
I hope any readers of this post will find it informative. Upon securing more reliable transportation, I look forward to visiting each and every store.