Last year I added my case worker to my xmas gift list. His color choices were black and white. Perfect! I had always wanted to make something in the houndstooth pattern as it is one of my favorite stitch patterns…so classic.
A search of the internet revealed the simplest solution: granite stitch in two alternating colors. I apologize in advance for wrong swatch color choice; they are too similar; I should have chosen two colors that are more disimilar.
I can see it but the orientation does not look right to me – full rows of one color versus alternating color tiles and undefined stitch pattern. I played around with modifying the pattern and came up with this:
I like the stitch definition in this version better, but I still do not like the one-color rows.
LIGHTBULB! I think I can do this with alternating color tile rows.
Next, I decided to graph the pattern and do it as tapestry crochet. The immediate problem was crocheting the whole project right-to-left with no turning to preserve the pattern continuity, which could present a bias to the finished item, and the thought of excessive tails to sew in. My solution was to crochet in the round:
Getting closer, but the thickness of the fabric is undesirable. Additionally, my idea to cinch the ends and attach a tassel or pompom would not be suitable for a male recipient. The next obvious attempt involved knitting for a thinner fabric:
The only problem here was how to cast on in pattern (two colors). Aside from that, I love it, despite my knowledge of correct technique. Because I don’t like the reverse, I think I would knit this in the round. Deciding not to cinch the end, I now need to figure out how to cast on for a single knit project and develop it into a double knit fabric that I can knit in the round. My immediate guess is to cast on and KFB all stitches to double stitch number and then knit in the round. I also think knitting in the round will make it easier technique-wise.
But first, I need to check out my light bulb idea.
And here are three more versions…all crocheted with my splinted right hand, so I apologize for any sloppy appearance.
I knew I could alternate colors easily and this is way more representative of a houndstooth pattern.
I forgot to take a picture of this iteration the first time around. I like it for better definition.
I think this is still my favorite and with a well hand, I could make it look more like the same version above. I would be very happy to get some feedback as to which crochet version you think most resembles houndstooth.