On da Hook: September 23, 2016 Off da Hook: October 2, 2016 Yarn:Interlacements Rick Rack (Fiber Content: Rayon, Yarn Color: [Lavender], Yarn Weight: 2, Baby / Sport) Hook: F5 – 3.75 mm Project Dimensions: 42 (W) x 11 (D)
So relieved when June told me to make the project smaller. I finished today before becoming too loopy from medication. Glad to be done. I love this yarn: the drape is excellent as well as the colors.
I may be partial to my own crochet, but I think my revised version (right side, worked in the round, no seam) looks nicer: the stitch definition is the same on every row. The yarn used in the revised version is a continuation of the same skein of Patons Lace (Fiber Content: 80% Acrylic, 10% Mohair, 10% Wool; Yarn Color: 33129 Porcelain; Yarn Weight: 2, Sport/Baby).
As an observer noted on my Facebook page, I don’t usually use/recommend natural fibers for infant items, because of unknown fiber allergies; these are just samples.
I rephotographed the first one because I had folded the brim wrong. As you can see they are the same size for the most part despite the left one having a 25-stitch circumference and the right one having a 24 stitch circumference.
Once again, no students at my crochet class, so the owner and I got together and came up with an event to introduce me to the store patrons. I will be spending the whole day in the shop and facilitating a charity crochet stash event. All items completed during the day will be donated to Handmade Especially For You, who will be meeting in the store in the evening.
This is one pattern that will be made available to patrons, as well as stash yarn provided by the store in addition to patrons stash and hooks provided on loan by me. I can’t believe this hat [4 (H) x 2.5 (W) inches] would fit a preemie. It looks too small. Additionally, I am not a fan of the pattern, indicating seaming. Seaming may be okay for knitting, but crochet makes seaming senseless. Of course I will redesign.
I used Patons Lace (Fiber Content: 80% Acrylic, 10% Mohair, 10% Wool; Yarn Color: 33129 Porcelain; Yarn Weight: 2, Sport/Baby) with an F hook, indicated by the pattern. I love this yarn for its color gradients.
On da Hook: January 6, 2016 Off da Hook: January 21, 2016 Pattern:Mayflower Baby Blanket by Tammy Hildebrand Yarn:Cascade Elysian (Fiber Content: 60% Superwash Merino Wool, 40% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 06; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Hook: US I/9 – 5.5 mm Dimensions: 31 x 31 inches
Oh whoa! Oh whoa! Oh whoa!
Loved the pattern result. I indicated medium difficulty rating because I am an advance crocheter; Lynette had difficulty with the pattern as a less experienced crocheter. Advise confident knowledge of back/front post construction, which took me a minute to get my stitch count down. The other thing that threw me for a loop was the half double crochets, whose top stitch points left versus double crochet which point right.
Noticed some errors in the copy: Border indicates SC count…should be stitch count. Notified Caron. Once again when it come to the border, my counts got all messed up, so I improvised a border; also because we were not sure we had enough yarn. Commendation to Cascade Yarns for getting back to me within 24 hours; I was right should have read “stitches,” not “single crochet.”
When I calculated 5 skein yardage, I was short. Another visit to the store only produced one more skein and I thought we needed at least two.
Oh well, I am just waiting to hear from the client as to whether she is satisfied and then I will sew in the ends, fluff it and deliver it.
I always try to find a project appropriate song name for my projects, but I my choices are lessening. I named this project after Baby by Justin Bieber. I think I may just start picking song names at random.
On da Hook: December 22, 2014 Off da Hook: December 24, 2014 Diaper Cover Pattern:Don’t Eat the Daisies Newborn Diaper Cover by Creating Beautiful Things In Life Hat Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo Yarn A: Unknown (Fiber Content: [Acrylic]; Yarn Color: [Red]; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted Yarn B: Unknown (Fiber Content: [Acrylic]; Yarn Color: [White]; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted
I never know how big, or small, to make things for babies or infants, so I felt lucky to be able to measure the baby; I came up with 14 inch circumference for the head and the waist. Because I had never made a diaper cover, I chose to use a pattern. The one I selected was very easy and quick.
As for the hat: I improvised it. I had to started with a one-stitch-increase per row, but found that was getting too long. I think went to a three-stitch-increase per row, but that was too wide. It was the two-stitch-increase per row that was the winner. I think worked to a diameter of approximately 4.5 and then did six more rows in white for the brim, minus the increase. The whole hat is worked in half double crochets.
The obvious name of this project – Santa, Baby by Eartha Kitt – was most appropriate.
I finally finished them! I am definitely going through a funk. Normally, a project like this would only take a couple of hours at most, but this time it took me three days…at least. I just could not get into the project: changing from a Boye to a Bates to a Clover hook, as one of my primary reasons. I think working at such a tight gauge also threw me off. I am, however, very proud of the finished object. The first time I made these, I fudged up the pattern and counts. This time, despite the counts not being exact, the outcome is much better. I even went as far as to buy the buttons and sew them on!
My friend Eve is having twins: a boy and a girl. In case you can’t tell the difference above, the booties with the scalloped edge are for the girl and the booties with the crab stitch edge are for the boy. The color was one of three requested by the mother. Last I heard, mom was in the hospital, under observation. I need to find out where she is so I can deliver my gift.