Bad Blood Scarf

Click an image for slideshow/enlargement

Cast On: December 20, 2016 | Bind Off: December 27, 2016

This is a gift for the pharmacist that assisted with my prothrombin time (PT) testing when I was on Warfarin. I’ll admit that I had a bad attitude when I finally met him, but his personality disarmed me of my attitude and I started liking him…more than I should. Solution: add him to my xmas list and make something for him, so he’ll never forget me. Ha ha ha ha ha!

I was initially going to do a huge cable bordered by another stitch, but could not find a border stitch that I liked. When I got started I totally screwed up the cable. Aiyaa! I started searching for a pattern that was interesting and masculine. I finally found this: Staggered Rib Scarf by Suzie Blackman. I like the pattern, but, as usual, I had to make some adjustments: the most important being:

  • cast on should be even sets of multiples of 2; example: 28 (/2=14) versus 30 (/2=15).
  • sl the first st of every row purl-wise and k the last st through the bl for a more even edge presentation

Recently I heard that a mans’ scarf should measure 5 feet, that men don’t like long scarves. This presented a dilemma for me, as the recipient is at least 6 feet tall – mmm, mmm, mmm! I like’m tall! – and I usually make scarves to a person’s height. Finished measurements: 62 (L) x 6.5 (W).

The yarn I used is Newton’s Yarn Country Worsted Acrylic on US 8 needles. The project name Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – comes from the fact that I have bad blood…oh, and I just love that song!

Coincidentally, I just discovered this is the second Bad Blood project I have made. The last one was Bad Blood Cowl made during the hospital stay that reignited my whole bad blood situation.

 

Bad Blood Cowl

Bad Blood Cowl

Click an image for enlargement/slide show

Cast On: June 26, 2015
Cast Off: July 9, 2015
Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo
Yarn A: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3425 Sparkling Rose, Yarn Weight: 3, DK)
Yarn B: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3143 Blue Shimmer, Yarn Weight: 3, DK)
Yarn C: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3005 White Twinkle, Yarn Weight: 3, DK)
Needle: US 6 – 4 mm
Dimensions: 8 (w) x 57 (c)

This project was inspired by a cowl I saw on Judge Judy or People’s Court and started the day I was admitted to the hospital for a deep vein thrombosis in my right leg. I could have sworn, I did not have a twist when I connected the cast on for knitting in the round, and did not notice it until I was into the White Twinkle. Aiyaa! I really like the colors of this cowl; they remind me of ice cream. Additionally, I like the metallic sparkle in the yarn – barely noticeable in the shadows of the above images. I had calculated a circumference of six feet, based on the yarn label gauge information; apparently I was off. The yarn is very light weight and the cowl has an extreme drape. As such, it doubles well and might even triple for a more cozy fit.

The project name – Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – was inspired by my health condition and is coincidentally appropriate considering the accidental twist. The cowl was constructed with a cast on of 432 stitches and knitted in a 2 x 2 rib. I used one skein for each stripe, which is approximately 13 rows.

I’ve decided to donate this cowl to charity, as I am not 100% happy with the resulting project.

Where I Sit…

Patons Brilliant
Patons Brilliant
©A Hooker’s World

…because standing is just not advisable right now, considering my current health status.

I finally have the Dead Man’s Party Antimacassars in the wash; I pray the skull comes out white! Aside from that, I only need to iron them and then I can notify the client they are completely done. Once I have ironed them, I will post a picture of all of them laid out on my work table.

While I was in the Venice Family Clinic last Friday, I completed Get The Balance Right Shawl. Before heading over to the Marina del Rey Hospital Emergency Room, I had mom stop by the house so I could pick up another project to work on, presuming I would end up hospitalized. I could not focus enough on my queue of projects to make a wise selection, based on pattern complexity, so I grabbed some stash yarn – Patons Brilliant – and figured I could improvise something. Sure enough, I was transferred to Southern California Hospital, Culver City, where I remained until Tuesday.

While my current project Bad Blood Cowl – aptly named from the song Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – is a simple 2 x 2 rib, I am tiring of the monotony of the stitch. I also notice two knitting errors, which really bug the hell out of me, but won’t make much of a difference if you are viewing the project on the red carpet from the bleachers of the Academy Awards. Aside from the monotony, I am almost done, as I am on the second to last color strip; to be exact: 20 rows of 432 stitches to go plus bind off. Aiyaa!

While I was in the hospital, a friend came to visit and she was working on an afghan that was simply awesome! It was interlock crochet, which I’d seen before. That is something I would love to get into! She specified the pattern as Giraffe, but I have been unsuccessful at finding it yet. I think I might buy a book so I can learn the technique and create my own patterns.