The first hat for Mini Mikey! The name of this project – Safety Dance by Men Without Hats – is as close as I could get to making a correlative relation. The next hat I make for Mini Mikey will be in the pork pie fashion, but more colorful.
An former customer of mine called me yesterday and asked if I could make some chemotherapy caps for a friend of hers. I love this turban, but wasn’t too keen on the gather until I saw these pictures, which display it properly.
Gosh! I even look Indian. That’s me doing my Norma Desmond impression: “All right, Mr. de Mille, I’m ready for my close-up.”
I was given this project by the store owner, for a customer who’s daughter had purchased the supplies, but decided not to make the hats for her and her boyfriend. I will admit that I was not a happy hooker when I received this assignment and to be rigorously honest, I entered “angry knitting” mode. Angry knitting was explained to me by a child that came into the store one day with her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. When I asked her what angry knitting was, she explained that her stitches were too tight. I have expanded on that definition: focused and intent knitting on a project that is challenging when you would rather be crocheting.
The patterns were well written and the hats worked in the round, an added benefit because I dislike seaming knitting. I am not a fan of DPNs, preferring a couple of circulars instead, but even this proved difficult towards the end of the first hat. On the second, I found an extra set of circulars on the table and borrowed them. Using three circulars versus two made finishing the second hat a little easier. I was asked to make the hats based on the larger size (21 inch circumference): the first one slide right over my head, which leads me to believe my tension was too loose; the second actually grips the head, so I think my tension improved.
I am glad to be done and think this is the last time I will knit something in the round. My index fingers hurt and the tightening of the stitches as the circle closes is not a fun experience, especially when you are trying to knit three together. I am glad that I got over my knitting dislike which resulted from a dropped stitch in my Black And White Cowl, which is a currently hibernating template for the Happy Cowl. I still have to finish the Orange Crush Shawl and a knitting blank, which now I wish I had crocheted versus knitting. Doh! Having done a little yarn reorganization, I also have sorted my novelty yarns from my Japanese grandmother by color and they are just waiting to become scarves, wraps, cowls, shawls…easy stuff. But all knitting will go on hold again, as I complete the Ballet-Neck Tee from Vogue Knitting Crochet Special Collector’s Edition magazine.
Start Date: August 28, 2011 End Date: September 15, 2011 Needle: 10.5 US Yarn:Lion Brand Homespun (Fiber Content: 98% Acrylic, 2% Polyester Yarn Color: Barrington, Yarn Weight: 5, Bulky) Coccon Pattern: ODH Designs Hat Pattern: Perfect Fit Baby Hat by Ruth’s Hands Dimensions: approximately 16-inch diameter x 23-inch length
Having crocheted Sunflower Cocoon/Hat, I thought it would be neat to knit one. Thanks to SarahBea for lending me some 10.5 US Circulars. Going by the dimensions of the Sunflower, I was surprised that this one came out two inches wider. It is shorter by one inch because I ran out of Barrington.
Price: USD $50.00
German Cast on 53 stitches on each of two 10.5 circular needles
Knit all for 17 inches
Row 1: K2TOG at beginning and middle of each needle
Alt Row: Knit All
*My decrease measures 5 inches. I think I decreased from 53 stitches to 29 stitches.
I closed my cocoon with the Kitchener Stitch.
HDC in each picked up stitch along the border and repeat for total of three rows