This is the Black and White – by Three Dog Night – shawl. I made this from the left over yarn from the Oakland Raiders Afghan: Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Colors: 01005 White, 01040 Black, and 01044 True Grey; Yarn Weight: 4, Aran). I used a US K10.5/6.5 MM hook for better drape.
The pattern I used for this shawl is Ombre Shawl Crochet Pattern. Because I used a thicker yarn weight and a bigger hook than what the pattern calls for, I did not crochet the pattern in its entirety, shorting the last grey row by approximately 8 repeats and leaving off the last three color changes. Otherwise, I followed the stripe pattern set forth by the pattern.
The shawl measures approximately 64 (W) x 37 (H) inches. Had I continued the pattern in its entirety, who know how much bigger it would be.
Found this pattern: Ombre Shawl Crochet Pattern on the internet and loved the look of the shawl. The beginning was a little tricky – due to poor vision, but once I picked it up. I am making Digging Your Scene – by The Blow Monkeys – Wrap with the leftovers from the Oakland Raiders Afghan: Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Colors: 01005 White, 01040 Black, and 01044 True Grey; Yarn Weight: 4, Aran) on a US K10.5/6.5 MM hook.
To honor Maddie Made It’s hospitality Friday night, and the 25% discount I received on my purchase, I bought some Universal Cotton Supreme DK (Fiber Content: 100% Cotton; Yarn Colors: 701 White, 723 Silken, and best guess: 713 Hot Pink; Yarn Weight: 3, DK) and started American Pie – by Don McLean and based on the pi-influenced stripe pattern. With approximately 690 yards, and with a US F5/3.75 MM hook, I figure I’ll get a small shawl if not a large kerchief, either way, I just love the color combo.
Back in July 2015, my cousin asked me to make this for his uncle in gratitude for wedding planning. I created the chart and a spreadsheet and crocheted the afghan, finishing in December 2015. However, due to bleach discoloration within the first 10 rows, I had to remake this afghan and I just finished today.
I seriously need to learn how to crochet left handed so, my tapestry pieces will not have a stitch bias/slant. This time around I stranded unused yarn behind the afghan versus cutting my color changes. Turns out I used the same amount of yarn. I found that a little odd, thinking I might use at least on extra skein due to the stranding. Go figure! The most important thing I learned is that I don’t charge enough for my work. I used to base my pricing on 4 x the cost of the yarn, but when the customer chooses the cheapest yarn, I suffer. This entire afghan totaled out at $209.40. Based on this, I am changing my pricing schedule which will reflect the time investment in making such a piece.
I calculated my time crocheting this piece and came out to about 70 hours. At minimum wage, the cost for crochet alone would be $700.00. That does not even include the time it took to make the chart and pattern. Despite possible copyright infringement, I am publishing my pattern for sale, so hopefully, I can make a little income to offset this undercharge. I also feel that people that appreciate handmade items will appreciate the cost increase, adding value to the piece. My friends and family discount of 25% will still apply to all items.
This is my next commissioned piece; it will be an xmas gift, so I decided I better get started so I can finish on time. Please do not ask me for the chart, as I cannot violate copyright laws and distribute for profit, nor do I want to distribute for free because of the work involved in charting this logo.
Off da Hook: October 12, 2011 Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo Yarn A:Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 1005 White; Yarn Weight: 4, Aran) Yarn B: Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 1040 Black; Yarn Weight: 4, Aran) Dimensions: 54 x 58 inches
This afghan represents my acquired knowledge of how to perform entrelac crochet in the round. I found this stitch easy and fun to do, but one must keep track of one’s stitch count, as I got too comfortable twice and two of the square are actually bigger than they are supposed to be. I was not a fan of the continuous method, switching between yarns, as a ridge is created on the back side. In the future, I will just cut the yarn and sew in the ends.
The project name – Mirror In The Bathroom by The English Beat – is representative of my ska period and in honor of one of my most favorite ska bands.