Cast On: December 20, 2016 | Bind Off: December 27, 2016
This is a gift for the pharmacist that assisted with my prothrombin time (PT) testing when I was on Warfarin. I’ll admit that I had a bad attitude when I finally met him, but his personality disarmed me of my attitude and I started liking him…more than I should. Solution: add him to my xmas list and make something for him, so he’ll never forget me. Ha ha ha ha ha!
I was initially going to do a huge cable bordered by another stitch, but could not find a border stitch that I liked. When I got started I totally screwed up the cable. Aiyaa! I started searching for a pattern that was interesting and masculine. I finally found this: Staggered Rib Scarf by Suzie Blackman. I like the pattern, but, as usual, I had to make some adjustments: the most important being:
cast on should be even sets of multiples of 2; example: 28 (/2=14) versus 30 (/2=15).
sl the first st of every row purl-wise and k the last st through the bl for a more even edge presentation
Recently I heard that a mans’ scarf should measure 5 feet, that men don’t like long scarves. This presented a dilemma for me, as the recipient is at least 6 feet tall – mmm, mmm, mmm! I like’m tall! – and I usually make scarves to a person’s height. Finished measurements: 62 (L) x 6.5 (W).
The yarn I used is Newton’s Yarn Country Worsted Acrylic on US 8 needles. The project name Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – comes from the fact that I have bad blood…oh, and I just love that song!
Coincidentally, I just discovered this is the second Bad Blood project I have made. The last one was Bad Blood Cowl made during the hospital stay that reignited my whole bad blood situation.
Cast On: June 26, 2015 Cast Off: July 9, 2015 Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo Yarn A:Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3425 Sparkling Rose, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Yarn B: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3143 Blue Shimmer, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Yarn C: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3005 White Twinkle, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Needle: US 6 – 4 mm Dimensions: 8 (w) x 57 (c)
This project was inspired by a cowl I saw on Judge Judy or People’s Court and started the day I was admitted to the hospital for a deep vein thrombosis in my right leg. I could have sworn, I did not have a twist when I connected the cast on for knitting in the round, and did not notice it until I was into the White Twinkle. Aiyaa! I really like the colors of this cowl; they remind me of ice cream. Additionally, I like the metallic sparkle in the yarn – barely noticeable in the shadows of the above images. I had calculated a circumference of six feet, based on the yarn label gauge information; apparently I was off. The yarn is very light weight and the cowl has an extreme drape. As such, it doubles well and might even triple for a more cozy fit.
The project name – Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – was inspired by my health condition and is coincidentally appropriate considering the accidental twist. The cowl was constructed with a cast on of 432 stitches and knitted in a 2 x 2 rib. I used one skein for each stripe, which is approximately 13 rows.
I’ve decided to donate this cowl to charity, as I am not 100% happy with the resulting project.
…because standing is just not advisable right now, considering my current health status.
I finally have the Dead Man’s Party Antimacassars in the wash; I pray the skull comes out white! Aside from that, I only need to iron them and then I can notify the client they are completely done. Once I have ironed them, I will post a picture of all of them laid out on my work table.
While my current project Bad Blood Cowl – aptly named from the song Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – is a simple 2 x 2 rib, I am tiring of the monotony of the stitch. I also notice two knitting errors, which really bug the hell out of me, but won’t make much of a difference if you are viewing the project on the red carpet from the bleachers of the Academy Awards. Aside from the monotony, I am almost done, as I am on the second to last color strip; to be exact: 20 rows of 432 stitches to go plus bind off. Aiyaa!
While I was in the hospital, a friend came to visit and she was working on an afghan that was simply awesome! It was interlock crochet, which I’d seen before. That is something I would love to get into! She specified the pattern as Giraffe, but I have been unsuccessful at finding it yet. I think I might buy a book so I can learn the technique and create my own patterns.