Spirit In The Sky Shawlette

Click a thumbnail for enlargement/slide show…

Cast On: September 25, 2015
Cast Off: October 15, 2015
Pattern: Terribly Simple by Caitlin ffrench
Yarn: Newton’s Yarn Country Ribbon Spirits (Fiber Content: 100% Polyester; Yarn Color: Not Indicated [Multicolor]; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted)
Needle: US 8
Dimensions: 58 (W) x 14 (H)
Price: USD $134.00

I finally finished this project after number do-overs:

Do-over 2: Got my replacement interchangeable needle cord and cast on fewer stitches for a knit back and forth cowl on a 16-inch cord versus the 40-inch I was using.

Do-over 3: The 16-inch cord was too small. Re cast on a 20-inch cord; still too small.

Do-over 4: Cast on 24 stitches using a provision cast on, figuring I could Kitchener in the end.

Do-over 5: Cast on 25 stitches, doubling first knit row because yarn I am using is actually a slick ribbon and I thought it could be eaiser to just knit the end in from the beginning. Started in garter, but think I want something more different.

Do-over 6: Going to cast on 50 stitches for a wider project, and because I have two skeins.

After do-over 6, I finally found a simple crescent-shaped shawl pattern and set forth. The pattern was “terribly simple,” but I am not crazy about the hump at the beginning of my shawl. I will send a pic to the designer, inquiring why I got a hump, but I am already thinking that the different yarn weights may be the primary reason; because of the different yarn weight the edge is not as nice as I would like it to have been. Overall, I am loving the colors in this shawlette.

I named this shawl – Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum – after the name of the yarn (ribbon). Of course, I probably complicated knitting with this ribbon by cutting the knot connections and trying to make the shawl without knots. After the first skein, and because I hate sewing in knitting ends, I just left the knots. The ribbon portion (pale yellow) was horrendous for unraveling, requiring a knot at each cut end to prevent unraveling.

I think I am going to try and crochet a similar shawl using the same pattern; of course, converting the knit stitches to crochet stitches. However I might wait until I hear from the designer as to why my hump is so pronounced before beginning. Actually, looking at the flat picture, I think if I increased the number of edge stitches, it might push the curl up more…I think that’s the secret.

Spirit In The Sky Cowl: Do-Over One

Spirit In The Sky Cowl
©A Hooker’s World

I started this cowl with Cat Bordhi’s mobius cast on and knitted almost one hank of Newton’s Yarn Country Spirit before I noticed – or forgot – that only half of the cowl would be in stockinette. As such, the height of the cowl was less than desired due to the slight curl going from stockinette to garter. I attempted to undo the cast one, but encountered difficulty and ended up frogging the whole cowl.

I shortened my new cast on by 10 stitches and thought a stockinette would look nice with this ribbon yarn. Now I am noticing how the stockinette is curling vertically – I was under the impression that stockinette only curled horizontally. I am going to do a 2 x 2 rib, but didn’t want to be accountable for maintaining stitch counts. I think I will continue with the stockinette, as I have two hanks, which should compensate for the curling.

Spirit In The Sky Cowl
Detail
©A Hooker’s World