and a project name – One In Ten – to honor one of my most favorite bands – 808 State
I’ll admit I was wary of picking up stitches, which I have done incorrectly, but present as as an invisible join…more or less! Even with the fur yarns, I did not have any difficulty finding the stitches to pick up. After about a couple of turns, I have learned how to turn the same way each time. I am not an avid fan of the holes in the turn, preferring a defined ridge decoration.
The good news is that I have already run out of scraps! The bad news, is that I have to start making more light weight stuff for more scraps, as this is a combination of yarn weights 1, 2, and 3 to make a 4 ply yarn to work with. So far I have gotten luck with maintaining an even ply…more or less.
Cast On: July 8, 2015 Cast Off: July 14, 2015 Scarf Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo Hat Pattern: Modified Divine Hat by Sarah Arnold Yarn A:Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3425 Sparkling Rose, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Scarf Hook: US H/8 – 5 mm Hat Hook: US F/5 – 3.75 mm Scarf Dimensions: 6 (W) x 58 (L) inches
With approximately 4 skeins left of the Patons Brilliant, I set out to crochet another cowl, but decided in the end to make it a scarf. The scarf is crocheted in the girdle stitch, also known as the moss stitch. My hope was that it would produce a thicker fabric, but with such a big hook it didn’t work.
With some unlabeled yarn left, I started the Divine Hat by Sarah Arnold, which calls for worsted weight yarn. The modification I made was after row 13, where I replaced rows 14-16 with ten rows of front post double crochet, 5 double crochet. After that I did row 17 (single crochet) and then replaced rows 18-21 with five rows of alternating front post double crochet/back post double crochet. The hat fits my 24 inch circumference head tightly, so I presume it will fit most female heads perfectly. The length comes down to just over the top of my ears, so I figure it will fit a female head to halfway over the ear. In other words, a perfect fit. I have had the pattern for so long, but always thought it was too involved to crochet. Now I improvised with a different weight and found the pattern pretty simple. I was prompted to make it as I received the pattern as wrapping on a birthday gift this past weekend at my birthday party.
I still have one skein left; I think I am going to contribute it to my DK weight scraps for a scrapghan in the future.
I had suggested to my sit ‘n’ stitch group – One Skein Short – that we make some scarves, cowls, hats to donate to the Vineyard Christian Fellowship as a thank you for allowing us to meet there. I think I will donate these two pieces as a set.
The project name – Pink Moon by Nick Drake – is a selection from my music library.
2015-08-07: I gave this away to a customer that just bought two of my shawls.
Cast On: June 26, 2015 Cast Off: July 9, 2015 Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo Yarn A:Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3425 Sparkling Rose, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Yarn B: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3143 Blue Shimmer, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Yarn C: Patons Brilliant (Fiber Content: 69% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 12% Polyester; Yarn Color: 3005 White Twinkle, Yarn Weight: 3, DK) Needle: US 6 – 4 mm Dimensions: 8 (w) x 57 (c)
This project was inspired by a cowl I saw on Judge Judy or People’s Court and started the day I was admitted to the hospital for a deep vein thrombosis in my right leg. I could have sworn, I did not have a twist when I connected the cast on for knitting in the round, and did not notice it until I was into the White Twinkle. Aiyaa! I really like the colors of this cowl; they remind me of ice cream. Additionally, I like the metallic sparkle in the yarn – barely noticeable in the shadows of the above images. I had calculated a circumference of six feet, based on the yarn label gauge information; apparently I was off. The yarn is very light weight and the cowl has an extreme drape. As such, it doubles well and might even triple for a more cozy fit.
The project name – Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka – was inspired by my health condition and is coincidentally appropriate considering the accidental twist. The cowl was constructed with a cast on of 432 stitches and knitted in a 2 x 2 rib. I used one skein for each stripe, which is approximately 13 rows.
I’ve decided to donate this cowl to charity, as I am not 100% happy with the resulting project.