I Had A Dream I Was Falling Through A Hole In The Ozone Layer Infant Afghan

On da Hook: November 22, 2014
Off da Hook: November 22, 2014
Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo
Hook: US K
Yarn A: Lion Brand Homespun (Fiber Content: 98% Acrylic, 2% Polyester; Yarn Color: 368 Montana Sky; Yarn Weight: 5, Bulky)
Yarn B: Lion Brand Homespun (Fiber Content: 98% Acrylic, 2% Polyester; Yarn Color: 369 Florida Keys Green; Yarn Weight: 5, Bulky)
Finished Size: 28 inch diameter

Almost done with my bulky weight yarn stash, this afghan was made with one skein of each color. I really love the blue and green together.

Construction of this afghan began with a magic loop with yarn A, chain 1, 2 single crochets, 2 half double crochets, 2 double crochets. Yarn B was attached and instructions were repeated. For row two and onward, I simply worked a crochet circle formula in double crochet, increasing every row to the end, alternating between working yarn A and yarn B. The last row of each color (20 stitches) was worked in 20 half double crochets, 20 single crochets, and 20 slip stitches.

I am not sure if I have enough for a matching hat, but am pretty sure I have enough for an infant hat in the same colors.

Price: USD $75.00.

The name of this project – I Had A Dream I Was Falling Through A Hole In The Ozone Layer by Deee-Lite – was a selection from my music library.

2014-11-27 Addendum

I did have enough yarn to make a hat, though after reading the pattern carefully, I discovered that the hat I made is for 9-12 months old versus newborn. Grrr!

Always And Forever Afghan

Always And Forever Afghan
©A Hooker’s World

On da Hook: June 2, 2012
Off da Hook: June 23, 2012
Recipe: Always & Forever by Hooker Leo
Hook: E
Yarn A: Peter Pan Germantown Zephyr (717)
Yarn B: Unknown
Yarn C: Unknown
Yarn D: Unknown
Yarn E: Coats & Clark’s Red Heart Nylon (261 Maize)
Yarn F: Herrschners Afghan (342 Dark Gold)
Dimensions: 44 inch diameter

This was so fun to design. My inspiration came from Crochet-A-Long Doily, which I loved for the spiral design. However, I wanted the spiral to start from the center, so one night I sat and worked at it until I got a formula that actually works, despite the fact that it doesn’t really spiral, versus radiate from the center. The yarn weight, after researching, is about about a 1, fingering.

I was worried during construction because the end kept curling up, which led me to think that maybe I should have based my pattern on twelve sections versus ten. Because of the curling, I was thinking of blocking it and framing it as tapestry. I would love to hang it on my wall, but it should really be framed properly, between two panes of glass. If I use nails to hang it, I am afraid it will loose it’s shape and become dusty. However, after I washed/dried it today, it lays completely flat. YAY!

This was really a stash buster of all my thin yarn. My original vision was to use the reds, oranges and yellows in a color scheme to resemble the sun. I should have used a one row repeat of each color, which might have improved the radiation effect and improved the color distribution. Oh well! I think it would look fabulous on my orange walls, but until I can afford to have it framed properly, I will hope to sell it as an afghan.

The name was most likely a random selection from my library: Always and Forever by Heatwave. I think the name fits the afghan colors.

Recipe Proviso

As with all my recipes:

  • I condone any profit you realize from selling your finished project
  • I condone duplication/copy of the recipe for dissemination among your friends