The name of this project – 53 Miles West of Venus by The B-52’s – is a random selection from my music library.
With so much going on lately, I forgot that I had promised to post the pattern for 53 Miles West of Venus Wrap. This thorn-shaped wrap has the distinction of increasing from the center, which creates a focal point. The shawl is worked in alternating front/back post double crochets and has a very elegant border, which is worked during construction. This shawl can be worn in many different ways, as noted in the original post.
Cast On: October 3, 2014 Cast Off: October 5, 2014 Yarn:Shibui Silk Cloud (Fiber Content: 60% Kid Mohair, 40% Silk; Yarn Color: Watermelon; Yarn Weight: 0, Lace) Needle: US 13 Pattern: 1 x 1 Rib Dimensions: 4.5 x 66 inches (unblocked)
As Annette cleaned out the office to make room for more yarn at The Knitting Tree, L A, she was also cleaning up her project cue and gave me this cake of Shibui Silk Cloud. I had been very attracted to this yarn and was very gracious for the opportunity to finally work with it, so I decided to gift it back to the store and kick of the charity drive Annette is conducting during the month of October and November to knit/crochet items for donation to an abused women’s shelter.
I just love the color of this yarn. I used the yarn double-stranded and still the scarf is feather-weight. This could be due to the size 13 needles I decided to use. I did make a mistake which I wanted to fix and despite the big needle size, the hair still caught on each other, but with a little perseverance and patience, I managed to get back to the hole, fix it and resume.
The name – Wave by Oscar Peterson – is a random selection from my music library.
Dimensions: 16 inches tall & 8 inch square opening
This is my template for another shawl design I will be working on next and an excellent way to use up your scrap yarn. I was thinking of selling this at my trunk show, but I really like it! I may use it until such time I can make a nice one for myself. My first idea is to make it out of the Romney wool in the store and felt it! At first I was just interested in the design, considering it as a market bag. The more I look at it the more uses I can think up: a perfect project bag for that project on straight needles, or a vodka carrier – because I don’t go near wine. The top presented a problem for me, but a the idea finally came to me this morning and I finished it off.
The scrap yarn used ranges from cotton to acrylic; only two skeins still had the label: Red Heart Super Saver (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic, Yarn Color: 0312 Black; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) and Caron Simply Soft (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 9727 Black; Yarn Worsted). Both labeled yarns were double stranded to reinforce the seams.
I think I may carry it around for a while and if it generates enough interest, I may write up a pattern. I was searching for a button I had purchased previously for bag closer; I could not find the one I was looking for, but found this orange ceramic button that I think was a gift from Pandorra7. For that reason alone, I should keep the bag for personal use as a project bag.
The name – Spill The Wine by War – was a random selection from my music library. It was not until the name came up that I thought of using the bag as a wine carrier, which is ideal for the inverted method of toting your wine around, and keeping the cork moist.
I was given this project by the store owner, for a customer who’s daughter had purchased the supplies, but decided not to make the hats for her and her boyfriend. I will admit that I was not a happy hooker when I received this assignment and to be rigorously honest, I entered “angry knitting” mode. Angry knitting was explained to me by a child that came into the store one day with her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. When I asked her what angry knitting was, she explained that her stitches were too tight. I have expanded on that definition: focused and intent knitting on a project that is challenging when you would rather be crocheting.
The patterns were well written and the hats worked in the round, an added benefit because I dislike seaming knitting. I am not a fan of DPNs, preferring a couple of circulars instead, but even this proved difficult towards the end of the first hat. On the second, I found an extra set of circulars on the table and borrowed them. Using three circulars versus two made finishing the second hat a little easier. I was asked to make the hats based on the larger size (21 inch circumference): the first one slide right over my head, which leads me to believe my tension was too loose; the second actually grips the head, so I think my tension improved.
I am glad to be done and think this is the last time I will knit something in the round. My index fingers hurt and the tightening of the stitches as the circle closes is not a fun experience, especially when you are trying to knit three together. I am glad that I got over my knitting dislike which resulted from a dropped stitch in my Black And White Cowl, which is a currently hibernating template for the Happy Cowl. I still have to finish the Orange Crush Shawl and a knitting blank, which now I wish I had crocheted versus knitting. Doh! Having done a little yarn reorganization, I also have sorted my novelty yarns from my Japanese grandmother by color and they are just waiting to become scarves, wraps, cowls, shawls…easy stuff. But all knitting will go on hold again, as I complete the Ballet-Neck Tee from Vogue Knitting Crochet Special Collector’s Edition magazine.