Shattered Dreams Afghan

Shattered Dreams Afghan
Shattered Dreams Afghan
©A Hooker’s World

On da Hook: May 15, 2015
Off da Hook: May 21, 2015
Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo
Yarn: 8 skeins Cascade Bulky Leisure HD (Fiber Content: 50% Superfine Alpaca, 50% Pima Cotton; Yarn Color: 9915; Yarn Weight: 6, Super Bulky)
Hook: US K – 10.5 mm
Dimensions: 51 inch Diameter (from point to point)

The name of this project – Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz – is inspired by the picture above and the seemingly shattered swirl pattern produced by the yarn.

I originally wanted more of a swirl stitch pattern, but for the life of me, I could not come up with something I liked. I even tried crochet entrelac, but there are just too many colors in the yarn, and because the yarn is discontinued, I did not think a search for a similar solid color would be fruitful. When I decided on the hexagon, I remembered that Ellen had made a shrug from a hexagon shape once. Unfortunately, my hexagon is not a granny square and therefore, would not fold into the desired L shape necessary to create the shrug.

In the long run, I am glad that the yarn is out of my stash. I feel like I am making some progress. I must emphasize the delight the crochet gives by finishing a project so quickly.

Price: USD $320.00 (25% Discount for Friends/Family)

Jesse’s Girl Shawl

Jesse's Girl Shawl

On da Hook: September 26, 2014
Off da Hook: November 11, 2014
Pattern: Delightful Diagonals by Mona Modica from Crochet World Magazine, Spring 2014: Fun With Color in Thread
Hook: US G/6
Yarn A: Berroco Folio (Fiber Content: 65% Superfine Alpaca, 35% Rayon; Yarn Color: 4510; Yarn Weight: 3, DK)
Yarn B: Berroco Folio (Fiber Content: 65% Superfine Alpaca, 35% Rayon; Yarn Color: 4518; Yarn Weight: 3, DK)

I was honored by the commission of a friend to make this shawl for her. At the time she asked, I had to finish Cousins Afghan first; that explains the length of time between the start date and the end date.

This was a very simple shawl to make, but the pieces are so big and the stitch pattern so repetitive that the thrill was quickly gone. I did have one problem interpreting a pattern instruction and sent a message to Mona, asking for help, but she never replied. Fortunately, I was able to improvise and finished the shawl by the requested date. When seaming the pieces together, I did encounter a stitch number difference when attaching the triangles and I attribute that to my improvisation of the misunderstood pattern instruction. Additionally, I attached the triangles with the wrong orientation and then backwards, so pay attention to the diagram layout.

The shawl in the magazine is one color. Because I used two colors, I might have been short a skein of one color because I only had partial skeins of either color leftover to do the border. When I advised the client, she said to forget the border. I would recommend doing the border, as I notice that the points kind of curl, though a border might not resolve that issue. I will recommend to my client that she steam it flat.

The yarn is nice, but kind of splitty. I love the colors the client chose.

The client is expected to pick it up today. I hope she likes it. The name of the project comes from the similarity of my client to the name of the song: Jesse’s Girl by Rick Springfield.