This is the Black and White – by Three Dog Night – shawl. I made this from the left over yarn from the Oakland Raiders Afghan: Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Colors: 01005 White, 01040 Black, and 01044 True Grey; Yarn Weight: 4, Aran). I used a US K10.5/6.5 MM hook for better drape.
The pattern I used for this shawl is Ombre Shawl Crochet Pattern. Because I used a thicker yarn weight and a bigger hook than what the pattern calls for, I did not crochet the pattern in its entirety, shorting the last grey row by approximately 8 repeats and leaving off the last three color changes. Otherwise, I followed the stripe pattern set forth by the pattern.
The shawl measures approximately 64 (W) x 37 (H) inches. Had I continued the pattern in its entirety, who know how much bigger it would be.
Found this pattern: Ombre Shawl Crochet Pattern on the internet and loved the look of the shawl. The beginning was a little tricky – due to poor vision, but once I picked it up. I am making Digging Your Scene – by The Blow Monkeys – Wrap with the leftovers from the Oakland Raiders Afghan: Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Colors: 01005 White, 01040 Black, and 01044 True Grey; Yarn Weight: 4, Aran) on a US K10.5/6.5 MM hook.
To honor Maddie Made It’s hospitality Friday night, and the 25% discount I received on my purchase, I bought some Universal Cotton Supreme DK (Fiber Content: 100% Cotton; Yarn Colors: 701 White, 723 Silken, and best guess: 713 Hot Pink; Yarn Weight: 3, DK) and started American Pie – by Don McLean and based on the pi-influenced stripe pattern. With approximately 690 yards, and with a US F5/3.75 MM hook, I figure I’ll get a small shawl if not a large kerchief, either way, I just love the color combo.
Back in July 2015, my cousin asked me to make this for his uncle in gratitude for wedding planning. I created the chart and a spreadsheet and crocheted the afghan, finishing in December 2015. However, due to bleach discoloration within the first 10 rows, I had to remake this afghan and I just finished today.
I seriously need to learn how to crochet left handed so, my tapestry pieces will not have a stitch bias/slant. This time around I stranded unused yarn behind the afghan versus cutting my color changes. Turns out I used the same amount of yarn. I found that a little odd, thinking I might use at least on extra skein due to the stranding. Go figure! The most important thing I learned is that I don’t charge enough for my work. I used to base my pricing on 4 x the cost of the yarn, but when the customer chooses the cheapest yarn, I suffer. This entire afghan totaled out at $209.40. Based on this, I am changing my pricing schedule which will reflect the time investment in making such a piece.
I calculated my time crocheting this piece and came out to about 70 hours. At minimum wage, the cost for crochet alone would be $700.00. That does not even include the time it took to make the chart and pattern. Despite possible copyright infringement, I am publishing my pattern for sale, so hopefully, I can make a little income to offset this undercharge. I also feel that people that appreciate handmade items will appreciate the cost increase, adding value to the piece. My friends and family discount of 25% will still apply to all items.
On da Hook: September 3, 2015 Off da Hook: December 29, 2015 Pattern: Oakland Raiders Tapestry Afghan by Hooker Leo (pending publication) Yarn A:Michael’s Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 01040 Black; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Yarn B: Michael’s Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 01005 Black; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Yarn C: Michael’s Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 01044 Black; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Hook: US H/8 – 5. 00 mm Dimensions: 4 x 4 Feet Square
The most important thing I have learned from making my second tapestry afghan is that I don’t charge enough! Unfortunately, I have one more already commissioned and I need to re-do this one because of a bleach stain in the black area. The good news: I have sold this one, stain and all.
After all these tapestry afghans are done, I should be able to crochet right-, and left-handed. I am currently practicing by making a scarf with left-handed crochet. I have also taught my self about floating the yarn across the back. Preliminary tests have shown a significant enough vertical dip, which may be caused by additional tension upon that stitch, whereby I was tucking the floating yarn underneath the stitch. I still like cutting my ends, as I think it consumes less yarn. They might not seem as unbearable in the end if I address them as I crochet each row.
Finally, I think I may begin charging for these afghans based on time versus materials. This will greatly increase the cost of making one, which I think is fair considering all the graphic/web design that does into the project in charting a pattern.
This is my next commissioned piece; it will be an xmas gift, so I decided I better get started so I can finish on time. Please do not ask me for the chart, as I cannot violate copyright laws and distribute for profit, nor do I want to distribute for free because of the work involved in charting this logo.