On da Hook: January 22, 2016 Off da Hook: January 22, 2016 Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo Yarn A:Red Heart Super Saver (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 0319 Cherry Red; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Yarn B: Red Heart Super Saver (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 0376 Burgundy; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Hook: US M – 9.0 mm Dimensions: 6 x 9 inches
Mom and dad bought an iPad the other day and I made them a case for it. Each yarn is double stranded for a total of four strands. I purposefully mad the case super thick to protect the case from breakage should it be dropped. Still I told mom she should put a button on it and I could crochet a chain latch to prevent it from falling out through the top.
Project name – Sublime by Supreme Beings of Leisure – is a random selection from my music library.
Click a thumbnail above to view full-size slide show.
Cast On: January 2015 Cast Off: March 12, 2015 Pattern: Improvised by Hooker Leo of A Hooker’s World Yarn A:Red Heart Super Saver (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Color: 0722 Pretty ‘n Pink; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Yarn B: Red Heart Super Saver (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic: Yarn Color: 0319 Cherry Red; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted) Needle Size: US 8 Finished Size: approximately 72-inch circumference x 6.5-inch width
I can’t believe I finished in time for the Basic Two-Color Brioche Workshop I am teaching this Saturday at the Sand and Sea Knitting Guild. This project started out of It’s My Life Shawl (Stephen West Mystery Knit-A-Long: Exploration Station), which called for two-color brioche knitting; a skill I had never attempted. It seemed easy enough when I began, but then I dropped a stitch and went into a complete panic, as I had not inserted a life line. Fortunately, I was able to frog it back to the previous section and maintain the correct stitch count.
After that traumatic experience, I figured I better practice two-color brioche knitting, so I grabbed some acrylic from my stash and set out to learn by repetition. I’ll admit that I had to restart this project at least five times, but one I became focused I discovered that I had about a foot. I decided to continue practicing until it was long enough (my preferred length: 6 feet) for a scarf or a cowl; obviously deciding on a cowl. It wasn’t until it came to the seaming that I decided against giving it a twist. Actually, I am quite impressed with the neatness of the seam, as I was worried about how to bind off the brioche knitting.
Red Heart can sometimes be scratchy, but as I continued to work with these two skeins the scratchiness dissipated and I began to experience more softness. When I launder this cowl, I will use extra fabric softener for increased softness. The name of this project – My Funny Valentine by Sarah Vaughan – hints to the fact that I was hoping to finish by Valentine’s Day, but after a while of knitting, I began to get bored, quickly crocheting Circle In The Sand Mobius Cowl as a diversion.
With this project I finally learned how beneficial repetition is when it comes to learning a new technique. I can put the project down, pick it up and know exactly where I am in the pattern repeat; I began to notice how little mistakes were created by knitting the wrong strands; and most importantly, I could identify and fix mistakes before I got to far along.
On da Hook: December 6, 2013 Off da Hook: December 10, 2013 Pattern:I Never Promised You A Rose Garden Scarf by Hooker Leo Hook: Boye US J/10 – 6.0 mm Yarn A: 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver (0319 Cherry Red) [364 yds (333 m); yarn weight: medium (4)] Yarn B: 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver (0389 Hunter Green) [364 yds (333 m); yarn weight: medium (4)] Yarn C: 1 skein Unknown (Light Green) [approximately 100.0 yds (155 m); yarn weight: medium (4)] Yarn D: 1 skein Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (180 Cranberry) [170.0 yds (155 m); yarn weight: medium (4)] Lenghth: 78 inches (approximate)
My cousin requested this scarf a while ago, and I’ll admit, I was intimidated by possible design until such time it came to me and I was able to make the scarf over a 48 hour period. I was not happy with many of the rose patterns I found, so this pattern includes yet another rose pattern. I had enough yarn left over to make a hat and/or mitts. Keep in mind that if you change the weight of the yarn lower, you could get by with less; higher, you might be able to get by with the measurements above.
Just in case you are interested, here is the original art I created:
The pattern is available on my Patterns page, which may be accessed by the link above. This pattern remains untested; if you are interested in becoming the official tester of this pattern, please email your request to me. Until an official tester is assigned, I am available via email. While I condone your profit from making this scarf, I do ask that you do not duplicate the pattern for dissemination amongst your friend because I don’t think the cost of $2.50 is exorbitant. You are on your honor, as I cannot possible police this.