Union of the Snake by Duran Duran
Based on the tube shape of the project/yarn and the fact that I joined it to prevent frayed ends.
Union Of The Snake Cowl
Rosa had won – again – another raffle at the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers guild meeting this month. I was surprised when she gifted the basket to me. Inside was a ball of rainbow yarn(?) that caught my eye. I pulled it out and examined it. I was not sure if this was a cable yarn or a felted project.
My first thought was to inert my hand through the center and open it up. That made such a difference, but eventually, the open reverted back to a close, though not as much.
I then asked mom to sew the frayed ends together, making a cowl. She took too long. I took the scarf back and tried to bind off the ends for neater seaming. OMG! Bad idea. A project the originally took fifteen minutes was not entering the fourth hour. After four hours of unravelling, I discovered that it was actually four strands of yarn knitted together, though for which final end – yarn or project – I could not tell you. Maybe I might find out at the next guild meeting.
After reknitting only one end. I did not have enough yarn to bind off. Went into my stash and found some mohair. Wet felted to join and continued with bind off. My mohair was not as fine as what had been used and I was not liking the bind off edge. Undid the bind off.
I finally took the ending tails and sewed a seam with them. However, by this time with so much working of the yarn, I had stretched out the end and it did not match the opposite end. I stopped caring, making the decision that this would be mine because despite charity crochet/knitting, I would never donate something I would not wear myself. Hey! Did I just contradict myself?
I would have preferred a wider knit, which leads me to believe it was a cable yarn.
Oh wait! I forgot to mention my final brilliant idea: I decided to turn the tube inside out. If this piece had been shorter, it might have been easier and taken less time. Add two more hours.
Finally, my tv table is a disaster area from all the tools I used to complete something that should have been so easy: set of straight needles because I forgot this was knit in the round; two sets of circular for knitting in the round, tapestry needle for undoing bind off and seaming, scissors for trimming frays. I dread putting everything back in it’s place.
And then there is Mojo, who craves so much attention at the wrong times.
AGH! So glad to be done.
Dimensions: 2-4-inch diameter x 3 inch width
Don’t know if it was a cable yarn or a felted knitted project – accidental or not. The fact that it felted leads me to believe it was natural fibers, and because of this I did perform a burn test. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter, I am keeping it!