My visiting cousin from Texas, Irma, asked if I could increase the size of this “lapghan” that her mother/grandmother had crocheted long ago – I could tell when my US I/9 (5.5 mm) hook was splitting some felting that had begun to occur…on the an acrylic yarn!
Okay, so now that I have a plan…a schematic, I know exactly how I am going to accomplish this: as the rainbow represents her colorful beginning, I am going to surround the original with crochet seed stitch, representing clouds. I have designed in strips to avoid too much distortion on the original piece; and I have positioned the original piece nearer to the corner to allow for any potential sentimental personal connection snuggling that may be occurring, and finally, diagonal placement would allow for maximum coverage, to include my cousin’s cold feet…in Texas!
I had asked my cousin to give me measurements, something, not just “can you make this bigger?” I need to know how much bigger. “I don’t know.” In the end, I had to measure and by asking the right questions, finally got a plan.
I started yesterday adding more double crochets, with a Caron One Pound I had in my stash. I already knew I would be increasing the size in white, so the original piece would stand out. I had to stop due to the perfumy scent that kept invading my nostrils. I already have a problem with phantom smells, so this was very annoying. I deigned the afghan be washed before I continued. Looking back, I suppose my attitude could have been better, as I feel I might have insulted Irma by throwing it in the washing saying it needed to be laundered.
And when I see my dad pulling it out of the washer and it is crinkly, I just about died. I just hope the original piece still has enough elasticity to spring back into the proper shape I had seen it in yesterday. As a security, I had to plan this out and I think crochet seed stitch may be he the most forgiving.