Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O’Connor
I love me some Sinead with her silly bald-headed self, but I was all about her music back in the 80s. This bias-knit self-designed shawl was going to be my “breakout” design, but it leaves much to be desired and non-mention. Eek!
Dimensions: 16-inch depth x 78-inch wingspan
Destination: Interval House
I had one skein of worsted black yarn lying around. Instead of it collecting “Mojo’s magical fibers of joy and love,” I thought I could mix it with some worsted scraps I had lying around. Turned out I had less than I thought.
As for the shawl design I started with a garter section, then black yo/kt20g lace > garter scrap exhaust field > black yo/k2tog > multi-strands garter section > black-sparkle yo/kt20g > multi-strands 1 x 1 rib > black-sparkle garter, finishing with final garter/bind-off.
Putting amount of scraps aside for a moment, let me address the shawl generally:
- I thought the lace section would drape more. WRONG! Instead it puckered the fabric because of the k2tog of aran weight yarn! Perhaps a quick tug-block will fix this enough.
- On the right-side, there are a couple rows that look like a wrong-side-new-color-attachment, but I think, again, it is the k2t0g presenting poorly.
- Ditto the ribbed section. I saw it as the last row of another shawl and it looked good, though I’ll admit the Queen of “TheNile (denial)” blanked out on the pull, she noticed on the sample. Does give me an idea for another shawl.
- If I had known how soft and fluffy the flamingo red knitted up all by itself, I would not have combined with other strands.
- And finally, the issue of jumping hues of the same red; I thought it was passable. I suppose I did get away with it, as the more I look at photos, the less it is noticeable.
Otherwise, this is my favorite knit right now.
Michaels’ Loops & Threads Impeccable
Color: Black; Content: 100% Acrylic; Weight: 4, Worsted Weight
Tall Mouse Crafts Variegated Asst Yarn
Color: 8399 Variegated Turquoise; Content: 80% Wool, 20% Acrylic; Weight: 4, Worsted
The shawl is based on one skein of Michaels’ Loops & Threads Impeccable, which in the Ravelry database has it as an Aran Weight yarn, whereas the store website has the yarn weight as 4-Medium Weight.
The scraps consisted of the Tall Mouse yarn.
All other yarns were multi-stranded zero-weight yarns to equal a four-weight yarn with three different yarn weight designations.