My friend asked me to knit up a baby afghan for her. The baby is expected to be a boy – I presume – due to the color of the blanket requested. She supplied a bag of yarn in three different types of yarn; I chose the Bernat Baby Velvet (Blue Skies) instead of the Lion Brand Pound Of Love (106 Pastel Blue), Bernat Baby Coordinates (Soft Blue) and a darker shade, or the Yarnspirations Infusion Handpaints (113 Blue Riot).
I did not want to make the Corner to Corner Blankie or I Want To Knit A Baby Blanket again, and got lucky when I found the ABC Baby Blanket by Jenny Williams. It looks simple enough and but my yardage is only four yards in excess. I am a loose knitter by nature, so I would have to really pay attention to my tension. To make things a little less stressful – in regards to yarn chicken – I am decreasing the rows between blocks by two garter rows and the columns between blocks by two stitches. I think this will help.
I also disliked the “blocks” block charted by the pattern writer, so I changed the two block charts, the star chart and the duck chart – although I really liked the duck – to 1, 2, 3, and a rocket block. Now it is an A, B, C and 1, 2, 3 blanket.