Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic Yarn Colors: 01040 Black and 01005 White Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted
My crochet hound’s tooth stitch development has been a regressive process from the beginning because I finally made a scarf in the recommended hound’s tooth stitch pattern – Griddle Stitch – and now I see it!
I will be presenting all four scarves to the recipient and let him choose which one he likes best; the three that are left will go into inventory.
And now…back to work on the eBook: Hound’s Tooth & Beyond.
This is the one, from my original post, on which tahlenri commented…
Hound Dog by Elvis Presley
As I investigate crochet hound’s tooth stitching, I definitely had to give nod to the dog.
Dimensions: 5-inch Width x 66-inch Length
This is the scarf, from my original post, on which tahlenri commented, “I think your crocheted modified granite stitch was pretty convincing in yellow and violet.”
I’d have to agree with tahlenri, though I still might explore a little more. I have also crocheted some swatches with even different stitch pattern effects, but I digress.
Hound Dog is not a reversible pattern, as you’ll notice via quick jaunt through the small gallery for which Mergatroid gladly modeled.
Click and image to begin slide show and for enlargement of image.
I am still using Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable
Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic Yarn Colors: 1005 White and 1040 Black Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted
I may have to switch to brown and rust, or brown and white, or white and brown, or white and rust… 😀
Back to the scarf: the stitch pattern is a proprietary secret still, but I can tell you that it is based on a staggered griddle stitch. I like it because it is bigger, more staggered than the traditional griddle stitch suggestion, though the more testing I do, the simple suggestions work also, it’s just I can’t see it from that orientation. I used a US I/9 hook, and a foundation chain of 16+1 for a scarf width of approximately 5 inches; I crocheted until the scarf measured 66 inches in length.
Last year I added my case worker to my xmas gift list. His color choices were black and white. Perfect! I had always wanted to make something in the houndstooth pattern as it is one of my favorite stitch patterns…so classic.
A search of the internet revealed the simplest solution: granite stitch in two alternating colors. I apologize in advance for wrong swatch color choice; they are too similar; I should have chosen two colors that are more disimilar.
I can see it but the orientation does not look right to me – full rows of one color versus alternating color tiles and undefined stitch pattern. I played around with modifying the pattern and came up with this:
I like the stitch definition in this version better, but I still do not like the one-color rows.
LIGHTBULB! I think I can do this with alternating color tile rows.
Next, I decided to graph the pattern and do it as tapestry crochet. The immediate problem was crocheting the whole project right-to-left with no turning to preserve the pattern continuity, which could present a bias to the finished item, and the thought of excessive tails to sew in. My solution was to crochet in the round:
Getting closer, but the thickness of the fabric is undesirable. Additionally, my idea to cinch the ends and attach a tassel or pompom would not be suitable for a male recipient. The next obvious attempt involved knitting for a thinner fabric:
The only problem here was how to cast on in pattern (two colors). Aside from that, I love it, despite my knowledge of correct technique. Because I don’t like the reverse, I think I would knit this in the round. Deciding not to cinch the end, I now need to figure out how to cast on for a single knit project and develop it into a double knit fabric that I can knit in the round. My immediate guess is to cast on and KFB all stitches to double stitch number and then knit in the round. I also think knitting in the round will make it easier technique-wise.
But first, I need to check out my light bulb idea.
And here are three more versions…all crocheted with my splinted right hand, so I apologize for any sloppy appearance.
I knew I could alternate colors easily and this is way more representative of a houndstooth pattern.
I forgot to take a picture of this iteration the first time around. I like it for better definition.
I think this is still my favorite and with a well hand, I could make it look more like the same version above. I would be very happy to get some feedback as to which crochet version you think most resembles houndstooth.