I was able to fit scarves, cowls and afghans into my favorite bin. Everything has been tagged with project name and fiber content on the back of my old business cards. Of course, the phone is wrong, but hey, I might attract more followers.
Here are the shawls, which I will get to next month. I am actually notice more room in my garage residence. The funny thing is that while i tagging everything for charity, I decided to keep the more quality fibers for myself…like…
It’s been said the third time is a charm; let’s see if this is true. I have now removed the afghan image from the pattern due to Ravelry’s response:
Unacceptable image. Whether the pattern is charted or not, it is still an unacceptable pattern since it uses a trademarked image.
I have also included instructions on the Ravelry Store pattern where one can view the finished product, which would be here. Again, the pattern on my Patterns Page remains intact with an image of the finished product and a PDF chart.
Aiyaa! Ravelry removed my pattern from their database for the following reason:
Unacceptable standalone chart. NOT “original” art which is what’s required for these types of patterns.
My first argument is why the fuck does Ravelry care? My best guess is that they may be liable for selling the pattern.
Okay, so I removed the chart and I am resubmitting the pattern, which you should be able to buy in my Ravelry Store; I have not updated the pattern on my patterns page, which does include the offending chart. Because the chart has been removed, I am reducing the Ravelry Store Price:USD $5.00.
Back in July 2015, my cousin asked me to make this for his uncle in gratitude for wedding planning. I created the chart and a spreadsheet and crocheted the afghan, finishing in December 2015. However, due to bleach discoloration within the first 10 rows, I had to remake this afghan and I just finished today.
I seriously need to learn how to crochet left handed so, my tapestry pieces will not have a stitch bias/slant. This time around I stranded unused yarn behind the afghan versus cutting my color changes. Turns out I used the same amount of yarn. I found that a little odd, thinking I might use at least on extra skein due to the stranding. Go figure! The most important thing I learned is that I don’t charge enough for my work. I used to base my pricing on 4 x the cost of the yarn, but when the customer chooses the cheapest yarn, I suffer. This entire afghan totaled out at $209.40. Based on this, I am changing my pricing schedule which will reflect the time investment in making such a piece.
I calculated my time crocheting this piece and came out to about 70 hours. At minimum wage, the cost for crochet alone would be $700.00. That does not even include the time it took to make the chart and pattern. Despite possible copyright infringement, I am publishing my pattern for sale, so hopefully, I can make a little income to offset this undercharge. I also feel that people that appreciate handmade items will appreciate the cost increase, adding value to the piece. My friends and family discount of 25% will still apply to all items.
On da Hook: September 3, 2015 Off da Hook: December 29, 2015 Pattern: Oakland Raiders Tapestry Afghan by Hooker Leo (pending publication2018-08-14: AHW Closed For Business) Hook: US H/8 – 5. 00 mm Dimensions: 48 x 48 inches
Yarn A, B & C:Michael’s Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Colors: 01040 Black, 01005 White & 01044 True Grey Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted
The most important thing I have learned from making my second tapestry afghan is that I don’t charge enough! Unfortunately, I have one more already commissioned and I need to re-do this one because of a bleach stain in the black area. The good news: I have sold this one, stain and all.
2018-08-13: Purchaser never came up with the cash; donating to charity
After all these tapestry afghans are done, I should be able to crochet right-, and left-handed. I am currently practicing by making a scarf with left-handed crochet. I have also taught my self about floating the yarn across the back. Preliminary tests have shown a significant enough vertical dip, which may be caused by additional tension upon that stitch, whereby I was tucking the floating yarn underneath the stitch. I still like cutting my ends, as I think it consumes less yarn. They might not seem as unbearable in the end if I address them as I crochet each row.
Finally, I think I may begin charging for these afghans based on time versus materials. This will greatly increase the cost of making one, which I think is fair considering all the graphic/web design that does into the project in charting a pattern.