“Listen to me, baby, there’s something that I just got to say…
Christmas Is Coming by Vince Gauraldi Trio form A Charlie Brown Christmas
Had to get an xmas themed song for such a suggestively festive slouch beanie I crocheted with red and green stripes.
Dimensions: 9 x 17 (H) x 28 (C)
Pattern: Be The Rainbow Slouch Beanie by Brooke Etter
I followed the pattern, exactly; from a mechanical and mathematical perspective. I did not follow the color scheme. I was hoping to end up with something along the lies of Dr. Seuss, but ended up with a slouch beanie with elfish inclinations.
“Not that there’s anything wrong with it.
The OTHER thing wrong with it is that point that just begs for a pom-pom to hang from it! ARGH! That damn point also emphasizes – at least, for me – Christmas…bah, humbug!
I do agree that the height on Holding Back The Years was not long enough, therefore, no slouch.
But, then there is…
Woolworth Woolco “Wintuk” Knitting Yarn
Color: 30 Red & 52 Dark Green; Content: 100% Orlon Acrylic; Weight: 3, DK
I just presumed worsted and crocheted the hat with an H-hook…and…I had the yarn label!
Which said nothing about weight! Fortunately, I did not discover this until I was updating my Ravelry project page, after the hat was finished. This could explain the opening appearing bell-shaped after trying to put it on my 23-inch head.
Heck, I got plenty of scraps to make another…without a point!
Man! I Feel Like A Woman! by Shania Twain
Originally I was calling this Money Can’t Buy It, but when this name popped up, I changed names.
Dimensions: 8 x 14-inch base; 13-inch height
My original idea was a new project bag. The reason: I could be wrong, but I feel like my mother, who sews, does a less than stellar job when she is working on something that is not her own because I hate to think that she would be as messy with her own stuff. The lining she sewed into my first project bag is coming undone.
When I thought about making the new bag, I wanted something like my Cost Plus World Market (CPWM), which I love for color and carrying ease. Once I developed the bag bottom, I decided that I was going to make a cover for my CPWM bag. To begin the sides, I crocheted around the posts of my last round and worked up.
About halfway through I change my mind, preferring a strap long enough for me to hang the bag cross-body over my shoulder. So, having finished the height I started the flap, made long enough to cover the top of a full bag.
Now my bag needed structure, so I crocheted a seam on each corner. The first one was a bit wonky, but once I realized my mistake, I focused on the other three, which are fine.
As for the strap, it took my mind a minute or two to decide how I was going to work this. Despite having added corner seams for structure, the bag still seemed like it needed more shaping. I was going to try and create a folding dart on the side by crocheting seams diagonally from the corner and up the center, but that seemed more difficult than I wanted to experiment. I finally decided that decreasing the strap from the width of the bag to my desired shoulder strap width on either side would be easier. And because I wanted cleaner seams between bag and strap, I crocheted each side separately and seamed at the top to join.
When I tried the bag on – full – to model it for myself, I noticed that the strap was stretching way too much, leaving the bag just above my knees. My first thought was that I needed to line the bag. Hesitating to ask my mom for assistance and not really wanting to hand sew a strap lining, I decided to slip stitch the strap-length on either side; this worked!
I am still not crazy about the flap and think it needs a blue trim to distinguish it from the bag. Additionally, I am now noticing the straps on the CPWM bag go all the way down to the bottom, easing weight distribution and providing better strap strength; that would have help my bag, but interrupted the beautiful chartreuse and orange stripes! I think I may go the extra mile and line the bag.
Unknown Neon Orange
Color: Agent Orange*
Content: Man-made fiber, per burn test
Weight: 4, Worsted+
Unknown Neon Yellow
Color: Chartreuse Charlene*
Content: Man-made fiber, per burn test
Weight: 4, Worsted+
Color: 18114 Indigo
Content: 100% USA Grown Cotton
Weight: 4, Worsted
Both yarns were purchased at my first Newton’s Yarn Country parking lot sale, back in about 2014. I never used them or even had an idea what to make from them until this bag. Now I will consume both cones in more bags. I don’t know how I got the idea that they were both cotton – natural fibers – but that is why I chose to mix with cotton. Another surprise: both the fluorescent-colored yarns were not a steady worsted weight strand; the strand varied in thickness/thinness. It created – what I refer to as – a corn cob texture which I actually like.
I am not sure how to proceed in color on Lady Killer and thought I would put it out to you for some feedback.
As you can see, dark mauve is the dominant color. I began by using up the scraps of other acrylic and cotton yarns/threads to begin. Having exhausted all color-pertinent scraps, my original plan end with dark mauve/dark purple stripes, does not seem exciting to me anymore. I think I want to add more colors, but that could turn out bad.
So these are my only conceivable options:
- Resume with dark mauve because it is the dominant color and I want to end the cone
- Resume with dark purple, which would complete a manual gradient shift, and end with it despite technical difference in color
- Resume with dark mauve/dark purple striping, exhausting dark mauve and ending in dark purple block, if necessary
- Resume with dark mauve color block, end with dark purple color block
I think I am leaning towards option one because I love how Dark Lady came out with the reserved color stripes.